Friday, January 28, 2011

25 Years Ago Today

Our family resides in north central Florida and have seen several shuttle launches from our own front yard.  We have been awakened at odd hours of the night upon a shuttle's reentry back into our atmosphere.  When Eric was a small boy he went to Space Camp in Huntsville, AL and got to "fly" the shuttle on mock space mission.  If I remember his story about it, however, he crashed it.  Our boys have been to the Kennedy Space Center and love all things space.  They have a telescope and love to look at the moon and gaze at the stars.  So this morning as I was sipping my coffee and reading the news, there was that gentle reminder that 25 years ago today a brave group of men and women lost their lives in a tragic accident.

At the time I was only 8 years old, the age my oldest son is now.  I remember watching it live and being horrified at what I was witnessing- people dying before my very eyes!  That night I was afraid to go to sleep and I was so sad for everyone that saw the accident.  As a little girl I did not live in FL, rather, I lived in Pittsburgh, PA.  I had never had the privilege of seeing an actual launch until I was a grown woman.  So when I was little, shuttle launches in were something so much larger than life!  My grandfather lived in FL when I was a girl and I can remember thinking that he was so lucky because he could see the shuttle launches (or so I thought).  I grew up in a generation where every time the shuttle took off the world seemed to stand still and hold their breath.  Sadly the shuttle program is about to come to an end forever.

I have included a clip from CNN on the day that the Challenger exploded.  Do you remember where you were when this happened?




*You will want to disable the audio on the media player located on the bottom of this blog.


--Jenny

No comments: