Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Beautiful Adoption Story

*You will want to scroll down to the bottom on the blog and turn off the music from the media player.

Now that our family is actively pursuing an adoption, in the afternoons I will sit down and read blogs of other families that have gone through the process or are farther along in the process than we are.  Yesterday I came across this video of a family that adopted a girl with Down's Syndrome through Reece's Rainbow and was so encouraged by their faith and perseverance.

The wife makes mention of a television show that she happened to see about the mental institutions of Serbia, which is what spurred her family into action.  I, too, have seen that show via Youtube and it is very disturbing to say the least.  It only strengthens my conviction to adopt our (and yes, I call him "ours") special little boy to give him a life of love, happiness, and meaning.  The boy that we want to adopt is 6 1/2 and on borrowed time.  Typically at about the age of 4 special needs children are taken from what they call the "baby house" and put into mental institutions where an alarming 70% perish in the first year from the trauma.  The mere thought of our little man being put into an institution almost makes me frantic inside.  As of now our precious boy is still in the baby house, but could be transferred at any time.

In the meantime seeing stories like this gives me hope.  I hope it blesses you as much as it blessed me.


1 comment:

Julia said...

You wanted to know one thing I wish I knew before we committed.... I honestly can't think of anything right off the top of my head - my e-mail is covenantb@yahoo.com if you want to continue this conversation. E-mail me and I will think about it today!! LOL!