Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Overcoming Fears

I learned something from my son, Elijah, this morning and he is only 6 1/2.  Isn't it amazing when God uses our children to teach us a lesson?  When our hearts are receptive to hearing the Lord, He will speak to us in the most amazing ways.

So this morning's lesson.

My son, Elijah, has had an aversion to telling time since last May.  Sadly the poor kid had tripped over his own two feet on a field trip and ended up breaking his elbow and having pins put in.  He missed WEEKS of school and in that time had missed his lessons on telling time.  He could tell time, but it would take him a moment or two and if he could not figure it out right away he would get so upset with himself.  The more upset he would get the more he figured he just could not tell time.

So the new school year began and he would avoid clocks.  If they were on a math worksheet he would cry and refuse to even try to tell time.  It would make things so unpleasant for both of us so I decided to give clocks a rest for awhile.  Yesterday, however, clocks revisited Elijah's life.  He had a math worksheet with a bunch of clocks and he instantly broke down in tears.  He REFUSED to do any of the worksheet and the more I pressed for him to finish, the worse things became.  So I made a deal with him.  He could move on to other assignments as long as tomorrow (which is now today) we could just work on clocks.  He agreed.

This morning I had the boys do their reading while I had my coffee and I could tell Elijah was holding his breath to see if I had remembered our deal from yesterday.  He went into another room to read (he usually reads in the great room where I can see him) and did not come out after he finished his assigned reading.  I had to go in and get him.  As I expected he resisted a little but I also reminded him that he had given his word.  Elijah relented.  We got out my plethora of laminated flash cards and we cuddled on the sofa.  Now I did not go to school to be a teacher but my instinct was to just take it one step at a time so we started with just telling the hour (i.e. 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, etc...) and it went well.  We repeated that exercise.  Elijah's confidence got boosted a little.  He was ready to move onto the next step, telling time with minutes (12:30, 12:15, 12:45, etc...).  Once he mastered that he knew he could handle the next step!  And so on and so forth.  Before he knew it, he was telling time on any flashcard that I showed him!  And in all honesty it took about 45 minutes!  What a great triumph for Elijah.

So what is the lesson for momma in all of this?

As mothers we all feel that there is something that we cannot accomplish for whatever reason.  For me, at this point in time, it is that I feel as though we will not get  the adoption rolling let alone through process for one reason or another.  But if I just take things one little step at a time and try not to look at the whole picture and all that needs to be done, I can do it.  I just need to be calm and methodical.  I must also allow my Heavenly Father to lead me through each little step.  I may want to avoid certain aspects and may want to cry and pitch a fit, but it will not get us anywhere.  So......  One.  Step.  At.  A.  Time.  Elijah just proved it was possible!

--Jenny

No comments: