Thursday, May 19, 2011

Who Are We?

My heart has been heavy this morning after some comments that have been made to myself and some of my friends regarding our adoptions of International children with special needs.  It only reveals the greater symptom of a more serious problem.  What I am about to share is not to be rude or disrespectful in any way.  I will, however, speak with truth in love.  I am obligated by my Creator to do so.  There is no way that I can sit idly by and just keep silent over something that grieves God's heart so very much.  It would be be dishonoring to Him.

Comments that indicate that those of us here in the United States should not adopt a child from another country, especially a child with special needs, is flat-out counter to our core beliefs as Christians.  Who are we to decide who is worthy of a loving home?  Did God discriminate when He sent His son to die on the cross for all of the world?  Did He say to Jesus, "Now go die on the cross to save the world from sin, but only the people that live in the United States (or insert country of your choice here) and accept you as their Lord and Savior and get baptized".  If anyone can provide me with the Scripture that supports that I will stop my crusade to advocate for all of the children in the world that need a home.  I will drop everything with Dima and adopt only children from the United States. But since I am confident in my relationship with my Lord, I feel secure in what it is that myself and so many other mommas are doing.  I know that God loves ALL children and He desires for ALL children to have a home.  Sadly, I see that our society is ignorant of what truly goes on in the world of orphans and it is an indicator of a greater symptom: selfishness.  

In the same way it is not my heavenly Father's will that even one of these little ones should perish.  Matthew 18:14

Did anyone see Jesus say, "In the same way it is not my heavenly Father's will that even one of these little ones from the United States should perish?  No.  God has no borders or boundaries on His love.  And thank goodness that He doesn't!!  Otherwise you or I could have been on the negative receiving end of His plan.  I praise Him that He sent His son to die for me, for Eric, for my boys, and for anyone who reads this blog post!!  He died for EVERYONE!!

Another point that was shared with me as I am sitting here and composing this post is that Jesus was not a politician.  Jesus was not ethnocentric- Jesus was KINGDOMcentric!!!  As Christians we should be KINGDOMcentric, too!!  If we want to live as Jesus, we need to get our minds focused on things above and abroad to see God's greater plan.  Yes, I live in the United States, but I am also a citizen of this world.  Above all I am a citizen of God's Kingdom!!

So who are we, dear brothers and sisters, to decide who is worthy of our love? 

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us.  And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.  If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?  Dear children, let us not love with words or speech, but with actions and in truth.  1 John 3:16-18.

So take a moment to evaluate where your loyalty lies.  For me it is a no-brainer.  I have material possessions and the ability to care for another precious child and I love God.  I care not what man says, I care what GOD says!  I will not withhold my love from a child or anyone else for that matter.  I also know that at the end of the day I am held accountable for my words and deeds:

Rescue the perishing; don't hesitate to step in and help.  If you say, "Hey, that's none of my business," will that get you off the hook?  Someone is watching you closely, you know- someone not impressed with weak excuses.  -Paraphrase of Proverbs 24:12 from The Message.

Reading that makes it perfectly clear to me that if I am aware of Dima and his need and do nothing because he lives in another country, God will be displeased and hold me accountable.  Saying that people should not adopt children from other countries is flat-out a weak excuse.  Christians should be concerned with what God will have to say at the end of the day.

I also look at the situation from the perspective of what God thinks about children.  Do you remember the account of the children flocking to Jesus and the disciples attempt to shoo the children away?

The people brought the children to Jesus, hoping He might touch them.  The disciples shooed them off.  But Jesus was irate and let them know it:  "Don't push these children away.  Don't ever get between them and me.  These children are at the very center of life in the kingdom.  Mark this:  Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in.  Then, gathering the children up in his arms, He laid His hands of blessing on them.  -Paraphrase of Mark 10:13-16 from The Message.  

Who are we, dear brothers and sisters, to shoo the children of the world away from their families who have heeded God's call?  Jesus made it very clear that children have a high value in the Kingdom of God.  Are you KINGDOMcentric or ethnocentric?  Do you want to be like the disciples and shoo away children?  I assure you that a vast majority of the orphans overseas are not in church and getting saved and baptized.  These children have no hope....no chance of being raised in a good, Christian home if we do not step up to the plate and be about our Father's business.  None of us have an excuse.  Not a single one of us.








4 comments:

Patti said...

Well said!
And if we had that same attitude about reaching the lost, we would never support missionaries...because without a doubt theere are enough sinners here in the states who need Jesus!

Rochelle said...

Hugs and love to you dear friend. So sorry everyone doesn't understand God's call to save orphans. Do not let that hinder your call. God will provide and He will be glorified in Dima's homecoming!

How about this scripture,
Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. Isaiah 43:5

nicole said...

Very well spoken! I agree with you whole heartedly and would love to share this if you don't mind. God knows your heart and He will bless your journey!! I know we have run into a lot of the same. Know it is a heart issue with them- and not an issue with you. It is really hard to not take it personally- I know. I'm there with you!! All we can do is be lights to these people and pray that God will open their eyes and hearts to His will!!

Me said...

Oh I know how much this hurts...we have just experienced the same thing from our church family of four years. I have been sobbing for a week over it because the comments are beyond comprehension, from a team leader who is the leader over the "orphan ministry". It's not that I expect everyone to understand but I pray their eyes will be opened, to show them its not about "us" but about Him.God didn't ask us if we wanted to go...he said "GO" and showed us where. There are children everywhere who need homes and we are called to follow His command, to the ends of the earth, if that is where He tells us to go. They are ALL His children. I pray through your family's experience eyes and hearts will be opened.