Friday, July 29, 2011

One Week From Today

We land in Dima's country one week from today.  Even though logically I know this, it does not yet seem real.  I am having trouble getting my thoughts together to even get everything packed.  It does not seem possible that we will be with Dima soon!

Last evening we had Carol over for supper to talk more about the trip.  She is packed, ready to roll, and I am thankful that she will be with us.  She is a missionary at heart and experienced in traveling and being in new places.  I have a confession to make.  I've never traveled out of the country before other than our honeymoon to St. Maarten.  That didn't seem like another country really, so I don't count that.  To say that I am really not sure what to expect is an understatement!  Sure, I've personally talked with mommas who have traveled to Dima's country and even his exact orphanage, but that still doesn't give me a solid indication as to how MY experience will be.  Each family has a unique experience.

The one moment that I think about the most is the moment I first lay eyes on Dima.  I've played it over in my mind a million different times and I know that it will be nothing like what I've conjured up in my mind, but I still cannot help myself.  Will he be scared?  Will he be excited?  Who will he take to first?  Eric or me?  Will he give us hugs or will he be cautious?  I cannot even imagine!  What I am certain of, it will be a fabulous moment that will take my breath away just as it was when I would lay eyes on my new babies for the first time.  Words cannot describe that feeling or experience unless you yourself has experienced it.

Another thing that I am certain of is that God will be with us every step of the way.  He ordained Dima to be a part of our family before I even knew what Reece's Rainbow was.  God has watched over this little boy an protected him for 5 or 6 years (we will eventually learn how long Dima lived with his birth family once we are over there) and put people in his life that have been key in our adoption.  People who have taken pictures and videos of Dima, people who have played with him and were able to tell us so much about him, and God gave me the momma bear tenacity to search for any information I could find on this sweet boy and his town.  God is so good and so faithful!

To the skeptics and nay-sayers?  I say examine your hearts.  Pray.  To be perfectly honest I do not think you have taken the time to do so.  If you truly knew God's heart on the matter the scales would be removed from your eyes and you would be rejoicing with us.

On that note,  just six days.....