Thursday, July 21, 2011

There Are No Shades of Gray

Life is sacred, something created by a Holy God.  Human lives are invaluable and every person, no matter who that person is, was created for a purpose.  Are there bad humans in the world?  Absolutely.  Those people, unfortunately, made bad choices which in turn led to the decay of their soul.  We live in a fallen world and we have been given a free will to choose.

But what about the humans that are weak, defenseless, left to physically and spiritually decay alone in this world?  What about those humans?  In God's eyes they are the most prized people of all.  Children are especially prized in God's eyes.  How do we know this?  Jesus Himself said, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."  Matthew 19:14.  I imagine that Jesus feels about children the same way today as he did that day as he rebuked his disciples.

If that is how Jesus feels about children, we, as Christians, should follow our Lord and Savior's lead on this.  We should rejoice when there are little ones in our churches, we should celebrate with families as they welcome new babies into their families, and we should pray for families as they prepare to embark on a journey to bring their child home from the other side of the world; children are a blessing that God bestows upon those that He loves.  We should rejoice even if that child has a disability.

For the first time in our journey I experienced some pure ugliness about our son.  I heard words that were spoken about Dima that were just beyond comprehension to me.  The words were vile, ugly, hateful, sinful, and wrong.  I will be completely honest and say that I felt angry, but not an anger that made me want to yell, or scream, but an ager that caused my heart to grieve for those that spewed their vile words.

After looking around at them with anger, grieved at the hardness of heart, He said to the man, "Stretch out your hand."  And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored.  Mark 3:5

A righteous anger.  I am grieved by the hardness of hearts, a lack of compassion for the least of these, a refusal to care as God cares.  We are the body of Christ and God expects us to do our parts.  But to say ugly things about God's creation, a precious child whom God loves, well, there are just no shades of gray on this.

This morning when I opened my Facebook account Moody Radio here in Florida posted a video that I have seen thousands of times.  I first saw this video when my friend, Lindy, posted it to her blog back in December.  I saw the video and it revealed a vile ugliness in my heart, too.  You see, I suffered from depraved indifference.  God dealt with me like He never dealt with me before.  God dealt with Eric, too.  Our hearts and our faithfulness to God were tested.  Are we TRUE followers of Jesus or do we just pay Him lip service and put on a good show on Sunday mornings?  What do our Monday mornings look like?  Again, with God, there are no shades of gray.  We are either true followers or Jesus is going to deny He ever knew us.

And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you who practice lawlessness.'
Matthew 7:23

So here we are.  Eric and I are putting ourselves on the line to rescue one of God's helpless little ones.  No, this child is not a genius, he is simple, sweet, loving, and perfect just the way God made him.  But God has a plan for this little one's life.  Believe you me!  In fact, I can already see this plan unfolding in the lives of so many and it is humbling to think that God asked Eric and I to be this child's mother and father.  God has entrusted us with something of high value to Him.  A masterpiece that He created.

With that, I leave you a video that God used to pierce our hearts.  A video that has been posted on the side of my blog since the very beginning.  But today I want to make sure you see it.  God wants others to have their hearts pierced and changed, too.

Do you suffer from depraved indifference?  If you do, I have a remedy for you and His name is Jesus.

  

2 comments:

Carla Dobs said...

I only wish I had heeded the call sooner...

but now my eyes are opened and I will not waste any more time!!

Carla
www.bringinghenryhome.blogspot.com

Nikki said...

I am so sorry that you had to experience that. Thank you for sharing the video!

Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com --> blog design to change the world