Thursday, August 11, 2011

Less Than 12 Hours Until We Meet!

Today Eric and I received our referral from the SDA to meet Dima!  We are over the moon excited and can hardly believe that in less than 12 hours we will embrace the son born from our hearts.  From what Alex told us today Dima is READY to meet us so I am excited to see his reaction when he walks into the Director's office.  We were also told today that Dima's father has been trying to get his name removed from the birth certificate and wants nothing to do with him.  Heartbreaking to hear, but a relief for us as we will not have to worry about him contesting the adoption.  We will learn more details about everything tomorrow morning, however, and I am eager to hear how long Dima has been at the orphanage.

In the meantime Eric, Carol, and I have been exploring Kiev one last time and ventured onto the Metro today.  I've lived in D.C., Eric has lived in D.C. and NYC, and this Metro has got both places beat hands down!  The trains are so fast and the whole place is set so deep into the ground.  We took lots of videos of our adventure and posted them to our Youtube Channel.  By the way, you will also see videos of us getting our SDA referral (woo hoo!).  We took the train to an area of Kiev that is not touristy and we had supper at a Ukrainian fast food place.  Half the fun was ordering in a place where nobody spoke any English at all!  I had Chicken Kiev with Borscht and I LOVED IT!  Unfortunately, however, Ukrainian food is very fattening and full of calories.  Overall I think Eric, Carol, and I have grown comfortable being in a place where nobody speaks the language and I am now accustomed to hearing only Russian or Ukrainian.  When I DO hear someone speak English (which usually only happens in certain areas of the city) I am almost startled.

I would love to write more, but it is now 9:30 p.m. here and we need to at least try to sleep for a little bit before we are picked up for our 5 hour ride to Kremenchuk.  We leave here at 4:30 a.m. our time, 9:00 p.m. "home" time (EST).  Please pray for us as we travel by car and pray that our very first meeting with Dima goes well.  As I have said many times it will take all my willpower not to grab him and run out the door!  Please also pray for Dima as he learns about his new family and begins to bond to Eric and I.

So the next time I write, you will get to hear all about THE MOMENT we have been waiting for!

P.S.  We have developed a love for the people here and this beautiful country!

2 comments:

summer said...

Oh My - I have the chills!!! Yay!!!! Meeting your beautiful boy tomorrow - GOD IS GOOD!!!!!

Praying for your trip and for Dima!!!

Amanda said...

EKKK so excited for you! Going to go watch the videos now :o)