Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mourning

One aspect of adopting from overseas that I have yet to share is the mourning period.  It is that time after you get home and you cannot stop thinking about all of the other little ones you left behind.  I've been home with Dima just over a week and up until yesterday morning it had not hit me yet.  At one point before yesterday morning I figured that I had escaped that mourning period and was relieved that I did not have to experience those strong emotions.  I've read about it.  I've seen others go through it.  I didn't want to deal with it.

Nope.  No such luck.

Yesterday morning as I was driving the boys to Co-Op I was listening to the Joy FM, our local Christian music radio station.  One of the morning show hosts just returned from a mission trip to Honduras to minister to orphans.  Her name is Carmen (see her blog here).  She was not there to adopt but I get the feeling that if she could have walked out of one of those orphanages with a little one (whose name is also Carmen!) she would have!  Anyway, I was catching the segment where she was describing her feelings and emotions about visiting those babies day after day and then having to leave them.  Then it hit.  As I was driving down SR 200 in morning traffic I began to sob and wail like a baby.  All I could think about were Dima's little friends that I saw day in and day out every day for a month.  I held each of those little ones and prayed over them.  I told them that Jesus was with them and loved them dearly, yet there in Kremenchuk they remain.  Their lives are the same today as they were a month ago.  Sure, Dima has a great life now.  But did you know that he asks for his friend, Kolya, EVERY DAY?  His best friend was left behind.  Sweet and precious Masha (the little girl that Eric fell in love with) is still there living the same hopeless life.

So as Carmen shared her thoughts and feelings I understood 110% what she was feeling  and I wept for her, for the orphans she left behind, the orphans I had to leave behind, and the orphans that many of my friends have had to leave behind.  I wept for the few orphans that I would have happily brought home with Dima:  Kolya, Masha, Vladdy, Natasha, Volva, and Vera.  And honestly, it matters not how many people tell me that I have done all that I could.  I think the Lord allows our hearts to break so we do not forget the least of these and never stop doing all that we can to minister to them.  So please do not waste your time telling me I have done all that I could because it is not true.  There is more work to be done for orphans.  Maybe if you have been watching from the sidelines it is time for you to prayerfully consider getting in the game.  Donate to someone's adoption, sponsor a child, become a guardian ad litem, become a foster family, or better yet, ADOPT.  There are over 147 million orphans in this world and if you call yourself a Christian there is much work to be done.  We are the hands and feet of Jesus Christ and He needs us to do something.

In the meantime I pray that Carmen never stops having a broken heart for those precious little ones and I am grateful for the time that she took to share her experience yesterday morning.

I leave you with a video made for Reece's Rainbow with a song by Sara Groves.  This shares my heart...




1 comment:

Carla Dobs said...

I am weeping today for sweet Alex from 41 who was transferred...

now my mourning period starts too..

Carla
www.bringinghenryhome.blogspot.com