Friday, October 14, 2011

How Easily We Forget

I've taken a break from my blog because I have been so consumed with day to day requirements:  homeschooling, cleaning, laundry, cooking, more homeschooling, etc...  So this has obviously taken a back seat.  But I have had a specific topic in mind and I now feel ready to share.

Dima has been home for almost 5 weeks.  It will be 5 weeks on Monday!  Time is flying and our time in the Ukraine seems like a dream to me.  The whole adoption itself seems like a dream for that matter and I am amazed at God's faithfulness to our family and especially to Dima.  I am also learning so much about myself and my other children with each passing day.  Dima has added a completely new element to our lives, one that at this point I cannot imagine it not existing in our home.  He stretches us, tests us, teaches us, loves us, and blesses us.  I pray that we do the same for him.

What I am about to share I do not intend to be rude, but I am not sure how else to address this other than in a blog post.  Our new little man has come a long way in 5 weeks and I am so pleased with his development.  But as his mother, I see that he still has such a long way to go.  How quickly we can forget that Dima has been through so much in his little life!  He was abused and neglected by his birthmother, grandmother, and great-grandmother.  He was removed by the State and put into an orphanage.  The day he arrived at Baby House 18 he could not speak and refused to interact with others.  He had to learn how to trust, how to communicate, how to live with a measure of peace after such an awful start to life.  Then here comes these crazy Americans.  Eric and I just totally rocked Dima's world.  While he absolutely loves us and is happy to be here, at times I do not think he fully understands that this is a permanent situation.  Over the past few weeks he has expressed his fear that I would take him back to the Ukraine.  For about a week every time an airplane would fly over head he would cry and say (in Russian but I will give you the English translation), "I am afraid you will put me back on an airplane to go back to Ukraine".  How heartbreaking! We also just learned of something awful that happened to him when he lived with his birthmother that just made our stomachs turn.  Dima has healing to do, too.  Bottom line, it has only been 5 weeks, not 5 months or even 5 years.  Please be patient with him and allow him to come around on his terms.

How easily we forget....


1 comment:

Rochelle said...

Praying for his continued transition! Bless him!