Sunday, November 13, 2011

Two Months

Dima has now been home for 2 months.  It is amazing.  I know I've said this many times before but it seems like he has been here forever and then at times it seems as though just yesterday I was meeting him for the first time.  God sure knew what He was doing when he chose Dima for our family.

In just two month's time Dima has grown comfortable in his new surroundings.  He owns the place!  He has also just really started to pick up English and I am so tickled with each new phrase that he learns.  His latest phrase is, "I love you, too!"  I've recently read that the sixth month mark is when Internationally adopted children loose their native language and are not quiet able to speak their new language.  It is different for each family as I really do not see how that will be much of a problem (though I could be wrong).  Dima seems pretty comfortable with English and rarely gets upset when trying to communicate with us. That has been a huge blessing.

What makes me sad, however, is learning more about Dima's background.  Over the past two months we learned about how his birthmother abused him with fire.  It made Eric and I just sick at our stomachs.  But Dima has bounced back from his fear of fire and now asks Eric to make a "camel" (that is what Dima calls fire right now- not sure why).  We have a  lovely fireplace in our great room and when Eric lights a fire Dima will sit on the sofa with a book for an hour and just enjoy it.  Again, he is so strong and bounces back from his past seemingly with ease.

I also learned yesterday afternoon that Dima knows how to fold laundry.  Sure, that may seem like a wonderful thing since I could certainly use the help, but he is only 7 and he folds as though he has been doing it for a long time.  Dima had to grow up very quickly in order to survive.  How sad is that?  We already knew that he was a pro at vacuuming since we saw him get the vacuum out in our apartment in Kremenchuk.  On Dima's Gotcha Day all he wanted to do was clean.  We took video of it and Carol and I laughed and laughed, but really, it was very sad.  Dima needs to learn how to be a kid.

Dima has also had to sooth himself throughout his life.  Unfortunately he has a nasty habit of picking at his thumbs when he is upset and I've been trying to break him of this habit.  It gets to where his thumbs bleed and are very sore and then Dim cries.  Rather than asking Mommy to kiss his boo boos he resorts to kissing his own boo boos.  For 7 1/2 years he has had no one to kiss his boo boos or owies.  When he coughs he pats himself on the back again, out of necessity.  When I offer to help he he says, "I do!".  He sometimes refuses my help or affection when he needs it most.  But slowly, slowly he is realizing that I am here to love him when he has a boo boo or a cough.  That also turns into drama at times and then he has me kiss ever little boo boo and owie and he will also cough just for the attention.  Can you imagine?

Life with 4 boys has been wonderful and challenging.  There are absolutely days where I want to lock myself in a bathroom with a nice, hot, bath and a good book.  More often than not, however, I relish every moment and thank the Lord that He blessed us with 4 wonderful little men.  I can only imagine with the next 2 months will bring for Dima and our family.

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

What a great post. Glad he is doing so well. Dariya has lost all her spoken Russian and has completely transitioned to English at 4 months. I would bet your signing man will be the same!