Thursday, December 15, 2011

Three Months

As of the 12th Dima has been home for three months.  It is hard to believe.  It was this time last year that I first saw his picture and my heart stopped.  I knew.  I KNEW he was my son.  That smiling face.  Now I get to see that smiling face each and every day.  I get to kiss his sweet head, hug him, tuck him into bed.  He is indeed my son.  Forever.

So how has it been going?

Overall things continue to progress well for Dima.  His English is coming along as is his ASL.  He is able to communicate very well with all of us and can get his point across without too much trouble.  Dima is happy and loves to be the life of the party.  He is always saying, "C'mon!  C'mon!" asking everyone to go play with him outside.  Speaking of outside Dima LOVES to be outside all day.  The grandparents just got the boys a new swing set for Christmas and Dima is in absolute heaven.  About a month ago Dima learned how to swing all by himself!

There are days, however, where things are not all sunshine and roses.  Dima can be very stubborn and loves to push his momma's buttons.  But when he is put on the corner that dear boy stays put until he is "dismissed" and that alone is pretty amazing.  His disobedience has lessened quite a bit (we had a stretch of about 3 weeks where I wondered if I would survive!) and he is a quick learner.  But he is a normal child and children do get into some trouble every now and again.

As for his health everything had been put on hold since we had issues with the boys' insurance provider.  As of January 1 Dima will be fully covered and we will begin all of his evaluations and surgeries.  In the meantime I am a little relieved that there was a period of time where we did not have to take him to doctor after doctor so Dima could fully trust us and know that we have his best interest at heart.  I think it is safe to say that once he starts with all of his appointments he will feel more secure and it will all work out for the best.

And speaking of Dima trusting us, I think it is safe to say that he is attaching to Eric and I very well.  He knows that we are here to stay in his life and that he belongs with us.

Three months sure have gone by quickly, but it also seems as though Dima has been with us forever.  Not a day goes by that we are not grateful for the blessing of Dima in our lives.

No comments: