Friday, February 3, 2012

Lessons On Love

This has been quite a week for our family with Dima and his extensive dental work with lots of little bumps in the road.  Some of the bumps have been bigger than the others and I am grateful that eventually the bumps will smooth out.  The Lord has also taken this opportunity to work on our family and teach us some very valuable lessons on love.  Real honest to goodness love.

Without going into too much detail, we had a little episode yesterday that was frustrating to say the least.  Our sweet Dima got himself worked up into such a state that it had me scratching my head wondering who this kid was in my house.  Once I got him settled I sat with him in my rocking chair and rocked him like he was a little baby.  This rocking chair had been my Grandma Allerton's and many little ones have been rocked in that chair.  It is a place of love and refuge.  As I sat there with this 7 year old who had just about turned the house upside down, I mourned for him.  I highly doubt that he ever had a place of true refuge when he was a baby.  I doubt that his birthmother lovingly held that precious little baby and assured him that everything was going to be O.K.  No.  Dima endured a living hell with that woman and her family.  His only refuge was his older half-brother who often took the abuse so Dima would not have to.  The half brother was only a little boy himself.  Then once Dima was removed from that home he was put into an orphanage where he had to compete for attention, food, and love.  How should I expect Dima to behave when he is scared or confused?

And then it hit me.

I am no different than Dima.  I, too, was once lost but am now found.  Adopted into the family of God.  Before I truly knew the Lord I was just as scared and confused about life as Dima is now.  I would resist my Heavenly Father's love, correction, and guidance.  I had lived "on my own" for so long I didn't know how to accept Him or His family.  How many times did the Lord have to "rock me" and reassure me?  How many times, no matter what I did or how hard I fell did the Lord pick me back up and love me?  Unconditional love.  Real love.  Over and over and over.  New mercies and forgiveness.  All new concepts to Dima, something I tend to take for granted.

Love is patient and kind.  Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.  It does not demand its own way.  It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.  It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.  Love never gives up, never looses faith, it is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.  1 Corinthians 13:4-7


That is the love I have for my children and my husband.  That is the love that the Lord has for you and me.  It is so easy to forget, however, that we were once lost and in dire need of a Savior.  As a mother it is easy to feel as though you are beginning to loose patience and get exasperated with your children.  But we need to continually remember that while our children do indeed need discipline they also need love and mercy.  We must exhibit Christ's love to them.  In turn that is how they learn to love and trust Jesus.

Love never gives up.

Love never looses faith.

Love is always hopeful.

Love, true love, endures through every circumstance.

Love.  Real honest to goodness love.

This song by Sara Groves just speaks so well to what I am trying to share.  Enjoy.




2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Great post Jenny!

Aislinn said...

Jenny,
What a beautiful post. I love this song so much but honestly have never thought of it in terms of my children....my new daughter. Now that I have I love it even more :)
Thank you for this,
Aislinn