Sunday, August 5, 2012

Kiev, Ukraine

One year ago today Eric, Carol, and I landed in Kiev, Ukraine.  We were finally in the same country as our Dima.  The flight from Frankfurt to Kiev was awful; the smells, the lack of space, lack of sleep, etc...  but as we began our descent and I heard the pilot speaking in Russian (yes, most people still speak Russian in the Ukraine) tears came to eyes.  We made it!  I couldn't get off of that plane fast enough!

As soon as we went through immigration I began to look for Niko, the man who I assumed would be our driver set up by Reece's Rainbow.  Instead, we were met by a tall, younger, man named Eugene.  He was holding a sign that had our last name and I walked right up to him.  Eric was taken back by my boldness but this momma was on a mission!  Eugene got us loaded into his car and then we drove around for what seemed like hours.  The traffic was unreal because 1.  It was a Friday evening and 2.  Yulia Tymoshenko, former Prime Minister of Ukraine, had been arrested and there was lots of protesting going on in Kiev.  But I savored every minute of driving around.  The sights, the sounds, and the many differences from the States.  I was loving it!

We eventually made it to our apartment which would be our home for the next several days.  We walked to a little grocery, exchanged currency, and bought sausage, cheese, crackers, and cherries for our first meal.  If I remember correctly we were in bed by 7:00 p.m. and slept for over 12 hours.  Ukraine is 7 hours ahead of the eastern United States so there was some jet lag to overcome.  It was not too bad, though.

Below are some videos from that day.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Shannon Hazleton said...

More, more, more! Let's re-live it all again! :)