Monday, June 24, 2013

Memorable Weekend

This past weekend was one of the best weekends I have ever had.  No, seriously.  It was a weekend that I had been anticipating since January: a weekend of laughter, encouragement, tears, prayer, and renewed strength.  This past weekend I had the honor of spending time with three other adoptive mommas of children who were also adopted from Ukraine and have special needs.  I think you will find that these are familiar faces, too!

Two years ago I walked into the U.S. Embassy in Kiev, Ukraine and saw a face I had only known via a blog, Bringing Henry Home.  Carla adopted little Henry who had Larson's Syndrome- the cutest little guy with huge eyes and a poof of hair.  Carla, Henry, Dima, Carol, and I spent 2 days together in Kiev as we finished up our adoptions.  It was a wonderful time and I had always felt blessed to have been able to spend time with them.  Sadly little Henry passed away unexpectedly in November of 2012.  Recently Carla and her family have commited to adopt a sibling group and it has been exciting to watch their journey thus far.

A year before Henry passed I received a phone call from a sweet gal who had just committed to adopt two little girls also from Ukraine.  She had so many questions and their adoption story was just amazing to follow.  The bonus is that she lived not more than 2 hours away!  Again, however,  a tragic twist of fate caused a terrible accident of one of the girls and precious Selah is now requring around the clock care.  But Selah's momma, Yvonne, has a very strong and very real relationship with the Lord.  I admire her and ask that you all continue to pray for the Clanton Family.

And finally, a very familiar face was present.  My friend, Lindy, whom I have known for ten years was able to come and join in our fun and share her ups and downs of parenting 3 little boys who are also from Ukraine and have Down Syndrome.  It was Lindy who first introduced me to Reece's Rainbow and if it had not been for her, we would not have our Dima!  There was even a time way back in the day that our families were going to purchase a huge plot a property together and build our houses on said property.  Oh the fun we were going to have raising our kids together and helping each other out.  God had other plans and the Houses moved to TN and we moved to NC for Eric to attend seminary.

Carla arrived at my home Friday afternoon and stayed through most of Sunday.  Eric so graciously took the boys to my in-law's so there would be no disruption from little folks.  It was just such a breath of fresh air and I think it was time that each of us mommas so desperately needed.  There were several other mommas who were supposed to have been in attendance and they were greatly missed.  Hopefully this will be just the first of many such weekends!



L-R:  Yvonne Clanton, Carla Dobrovits, Lindy House & Myself.



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

What a fabulous weekend with fabulous women. Glad you were able to get together.

Jed and Kimber said...

WOW!!! So fun!!! I love RR friends. Sigh....the best.