Monday, June 24, 2013

Sugar & Spice

For the past 10 years I have been the mother to boys.  I've played Legos, action figures, watched hundreds of hours of Bob the Builder, Thomas the Tank, and Super Hero Squad.  I've endured supper conversations that are to be perfectly honest, GROSS!  I've bought little suits, ties, and underwear with Spiderman.  I've enjoyed watching my boys grow into bigger boys and have always joked that I was the queen of the home.  I mean, really, I am the ONLY female;  even our dog is a boy!  The only feminine room in the house is my 1970's Pepto Bismol pink bathroom which Eric avoids like the plague!

But that is all about to change.

First the first time in my 10 years of being a mother I will be able to say that I have a daughter.

A little girl.

Sugar and spice and everything nice!

So who is this elusive princess?  She is an 11 year old girl that caught my family's attention back in January.  It was in passing and I truly thought that adopting her was a mere pipe dream.  As some of you know we had thought that our youngest, Sammy, had a mild form of Cerebral Palsy.  We went through lots of testing and now know that Sammy does not have any form of CP.  But as we were walking through all of that Eric and I read all that we could, talked with other parents of children with CP, and asked Sammy's neurologist lots of questions.  We had peace and felt as though we could handle whatever it was Sammy was going through.

One afternoon as I was on Facebook one of my friends posted a link to a child's profile on Reece's Rainbow.  Out of shear curiosity I clicked on it and that is when I saw her.  "Channah".  Her smile made me smile and then I saw her fingers.  Her sweet, slender fingers and how she had them in the picture.  They are just like our Sammy's fingers.  When I read her the information posted I saw that she has been diagnosed with a mild form of CP.  My heart was drawn to her.


I knew that at that exact point in time adoption was out of the question.  My husband's job kept him away from home for weeks on end, we were still getting Dima settled at school, and still taking Sammy to lots of therapies and doctor appointments.  At the very least, however, I felt led to pray for her.  I sent her picture to my husband and just asked him to pray for her.  He responded later that night via voicemail and shared that "Channah" was just about the sweetest little girl he had ever laid eyes on. He, too, felt drawn to her but was sorry we could do nothing more than pray.

Over the course of the following weeks my husband and I had made some decisions for our family and our future that allowed him to come home off the road and have a job where he was home every evening.  That also meant that we were able to step it up at church and take over our church's special needs ministry.  As everything fell into place we began to feel as though there was a missing "someone" meant to be part of our family.

Eric attended an informational meeting put on by the Florida Baptist Children's Home to learn more about becoming foster parents.  We figured that might be an option.  That same evening a friend of mine told me about a little boy with CP in need of a forever family.  We seriously prayed about both options but a certain someone kept coming up in conversation.  We prayed some more.  We sought Godly counsel.  Then another little one came up for adoption via California foster care.  A super chunky little baby who was blind and of Korean descent- she was just a doll baby!  Eric suggested that we inquire so we did.  We even contacted our social worker and we began the process to submit our home study for that sweet little one.  Yet a certain little someone continued to come up in conversation and haunt our minds.

Within a week of attempting to submit our paperwork for the little one in CA, we learned that she had been matched.  To be honest we all felt relieved.  It became very apparent that our hearts were captured by this certain someone who had grabbed our attention back in January.  It was time to inquire about "Channah".

The more we learned from a family who had met her, the more she sounded as though we could truly help her reach her full potential and that she would be a perfect fit for us.  I called my social worker and told her that we were ready to do another International adoption, this time China.  She gave us the green light and was delighted that we were finally adding a girl to our family of little boys.

What makes this story even more special is that this time it was Eric who has been so sure about "Channah".  Yes, he was reluctant at first back when he was on the road for weeks on end which made sense.  But in his quiet time with God it was made clear to him.  There was no doubt.

This little girl will have a daddy who will protect her, love her, pray for her, and guide her!  She has a daddy who puts every last spare penny into our Blessings Jar to go towards her adoption every evening when he comes home from work.  He is covered in grease and still has his lunchbox in hand, but putting the change in that jar is a priority.  She will have 4 brothers who desire to protect her and have already dug traps in the yard to keep boys away from her (no kidding!).  She will have a mother who will cherish time spent with a daughter doing girly activities.  There is absolutely do doubt in our minds that we are to work towards welcoming "Channah" into our family!

We have already submitted our Letter of Intent to the Chinese government and received our pre-approval to adopt "Channah" last week.  It is now time to do our home study, compile our dossier, and work on fundraising.  It seems almost surreal to be doing adoption paper work once again but we are excited.  It is our hope that "Channah" will be able to benefit from the same medical care that Sammy has had and that she will thrive in our family on her terms.

So it is with great pleasure that our family officially announces that we are adopting "Channah"!


If you wish to make a tax-deductible donation to our adoption efforts, you may do so through our Family Sponsorship Page with Reece's Rainbow.  If you would prefer to make the donation directly to our family (though not tax-deductible) you may do so on the right hand side of our blog via the Paypal button.

Most importantly, however, would you please pray for our family and Channah as we begin this new journey?

6 comments:

jen said...

Woohooooo!!!!

(I'm a Guardian Angel on Reece's Rainbow.)

Mandy said...

Congratulations! What a blessing!

Jed and Kimber said...

Such great news!!! YAY! I noticed you inquiring about China on the RR group and was waiting for an announcement like this! :)

carpenter said...

Hi dear family of Channah!!!! We have been praying for your sweet daughter for months. We have her Christmas star from RR hanging in our kitchen to pray for your sweet girl to find her family!! We are praising the LORD seeing the news!! We have 4 and soon to be 6 daughters all adopted via international adoption. All of them have differing levels of special needs and 5 of them have cerebral palsy as the main diagnosis...we immediately were drawn to pray for Channah because she has the same smile that lights up the world as our Asian daughter with cerebral palsy but we could not adopt Channah because we are in process for 2 from Ukraine right now!!Our blog is www.marianaorphanfund.blogspot.com Just wanted you to know we will keep praying for you! If you would like to email sometime our email is tingministries@comcast.net
May you be blessed in this journey...in Christ's love Stephanie Brian Sasha Ellianna Avigayil Angelina and soon Rachele and Olyvia PROVERBS 31: 8 - 9

Emi said...

She's a doll! Congratulations! I'll be praying

sasass said...

I was so excited as I scrolled through the my family found me section on RR and saw CHANNAH! I am her guardian angel and was her Chirstmas Warrior and helped raise over 1000 dollars for her. I am SO excited, as I have prayed for this angel daily. Now that she has a family, I will be working on selling some handmade items on Etsy for a fundraiser for your family.