Thursday, July 18, 2013

Redemption

This week has been our church's VBS Week:  Colossal Coaster World - Facing Fears and Trusting God. The Scripture verse for the week is 2 Timothy 1:7:  For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.  It has been an amazing week thus far and I have seen God work in the lives of my boys.  It blesses my heart to see my boys happily learn about the Lord and His love for them.

This is Dima's very first time ever attending a VBS of any kind.  Last summer he was not ready to be a part of anything.  He did not function well in chaotic surroundings and would not listen to anyone but me.  It broke my heart that Dima could not participate in such activities but I prayed that there would come a time when he, too, could be at VBS with his brothers.  This was the summer he was able to do so!  Eric and I somewhat agonized over wether or not we should have him attend with me or without me but thankfully some amazing people offered to work with Dima should he require some extra help.  One such person is my friend, Debi, who is also a caregiver for the Key Training Center.  I knew that if anyone could work with Dima, Debi surely could!  It was indeed time to start allowing Dima to be a typical kid.

So Monday night I took the boys to the church, sat through the very beginning of it all with Dima, and then left shortly after without him.  It was rather surreal.  But according to all who spent time with Dima, he did GREAT and according to Dima, he had FUN!  It was also apparent that Dima was retaining the information being taught and he was taking it to heart.  Every night since Monday he has slept with the index card that has this week's memory verse and he can recite most of it.  He has also been singing the songs throughout the day and asks, "Time to go to church?".

Throughout the week various volunteers have been snapping pictures and videos of Dima.  They are thrilled to watch him in action and know that he has come such a long way in the past two years.

Dima and friends (Sammy is in there, too!) singing the theme song from  VBS.
Dima is in the green shirt right in the center of the stage.
Dima and the amazing Miss Debi!

But last night something clicked.  The lesson was about the "A B C's":  A= admit that you are a sinner, B=  believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior, and C= confess your sins and accept Christ.  Dima must have been paying attention and took this lesson to heart.  As I was tucking him into bed last evening Dima suddenly exclaimed, "ABC!!  ABC!!  Ask Jesus ABC!!".  At first I thought he was just telling me about what he had learned but Dima was not going to let up.  Finally I thought to ask, "Dima, are you telling me that you want to ask Jesus into your heart?"  His faces lights up and he says, "YES!!!".  Before I could say anything else he jumps out of bed and runs across the house to his daddy.  So Eric got on his knees with Dima and helped lead Dima to the Lord!  Because of all of the yelling Dima did while running across the house, Jeremiah, Elijah, and Sammy all came out to see what was going on; they, too, got to witness their brother coming to the Lord.  I sincerely believe that Dima knew what he was doing.  If you ask him who he has in his heart he will gladly tell you that it is Jesus.  I rejoice that Dima was able to make that decision and I remain grateful to the many people that helped be a part of his adoption story.

Friends, this time two years ago Dima lived in an orphanage in Kremenchuk, Ukraine and had only heard the name of Jesus once or twice prior to becoming a part of our family.  So many people tried to talk us out of adopting Dima.  Well, I hope they see this entry and see that Dima now has the amazing gift of eternal life!  THIS is why we adopted Dima and THIS is why we will continue to work towards adopting Channah.  It is not just about US getting a child, it is about a child having the opportunity of becoming part of a family where they will have the opportunity to know the Lord!  

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”  Matthew 19:14

I leave you with a video from last night.  I cannot watch it without my eyes getting wet.  Dima is surely on the ride of his life and it has been quite a ride especially these past two years.  This, my friends, is what redemption of an orphan looks like (he is in the front and center wearing the dark blue t-shirt and silver athletic shorts)....


No comments: