Wednesday, September 18, 2013

If You Were Here

I look at the clock and quickly determine what you might be doing there.
I also think about what you would be doing if you were here.

I roll out of bed waking from a dream of you.
I would roll out of bed waking up to your sweet smile...if you were here.

I make breakfast for four children each morning.
I would make breakfast for five.....if you were here.

There is a hustle and bustle of getting four children ready for school each morning.
There would be five children getting ready for school each morning...if you were here.

Four children excitedly walk down the street to the bus stop each morning excited for another day of learning.
Five children would be excitedly walking down the street to the bus stop each morning...if you were here.

I go about my day cleaning up the house, doing laundry, and picking up messes made by four children.
I would go about my day cleaning up the house, doing laundry that consisted of some dresses, and picking up messes made by five children...if you were here.

At the end of each afternoon I wait at the bus stop for four children to bounce off of the school bus.
At the end of each afternoon I would wait at the bus stop for five children to bounce off of the school bus...if you were here.

I set the supper table for four children each evening.
I would set the supper table for five children each evening...if you were here.

Every night I lovingly tuck four children into bed and wish them sweet dreams.
Every night I would lovingly tuck five children into bed and wish them sweet dreams...if you were here.

As I drift off to sleep I look at the clock.  You are just waking up to start your day.
As I drift off to sleep I would look at the clock and be so grateful to the Lord above that you are not twelve hours ahead...if you were here.



No comments: