Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Gloriously Ruined

Last evening on Facebook I saw a friend post a video about a family's adoption journey.  It was a beautiful story very much like many others I've seen but there was something about this particular story that stuck with me.  The mother said, "Our lives were gloriously ruined!".

Gloriously.  Ruined.

Two words:  One that is positive and one that is negative.  Put together, however, it describes the essence of adoption so perfectly in a way that I had yet to hear.  I thought about our adoption of Dima and how our lives were turned upside down from the moment we said, "Yes" to adoption.

It was amazing to finally be able to hold him, hug him, kiss him, love him in person.

It was also amazingly difficult at times to graft Dima into our family.  But worth every painstaking moment. He has been with us for two years now and is thriving!  He is happy, healthy, well adjusted, has straight A's in school, and has done a complete 180 with his behavior at school.  Dima loves us and tells us at least 100 times a day.  He has bonded to us and is truly part of our family.

It was during those difficult times when Dima would be in a frenzy, hurting, not wanting to fully accept our unconditional love that it made me love him all the more.  Ironically I would also wonder, "What did I do to my family?".  God obviously did not call the equipped (Eric and I), rather, he equipped the called.  When the going got tough, the momma fell to her knees and would pray for guidance, wisdom, and help.

With the experience we had with Dima's adoption we were absolutely open to having our lives "gloriously ruined" once again.  It is not going to be easy (it already has been difficult) but we know that God is walking just a few steps ahead and can even see the end of the road.  Eric and I are also fully aware that the moment we get to meet Channah in person it is not the end of our journey, rather, it is really just beginning.  There will be many more bumps along the way once she is finally with us.  Oh but what an amazing God we serve!

So as I allow the words gloriously and ruined to marinate in my heart and mind I ask the Lord to continue to equip our family as we continue along in this roller coaster of a journey.


Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. 
Joshua 1:9






No comments: