Monday, October 13, 2014

A Long Overdue Update

It has been far too long since I last updated this blog so I am now going to make an attempt to get back into the saddle.  I am pretty certain that many of you are wondering if Grace is even home and if so how things are going.  Grace, who prefers to be called YunYun, has been home for almost three months and overall doing quite well.  She turned 12 last month and is turning into quite the young lady spreading joy to most everyone she meets.  YunYun is adored by her family and she especially adores her daddy.  It blesses my heart to watch them interact and I am so thankful that she is finally home where she will have every opportunity in the world!

But allow me to back up.  I am not going to go into too much detail about our time in China as I doubt that YunYun wants every detail of her life displayed on the Internet, but I will share some of what we experienced.  Elijah and I loved China and enjoyed our time in that beautiful country.  We got to stand on the Great Wall of China on Elijah's 10th birthday, eat amazing food, be somewhat independent during some travel around China, and we learned to fully rely on God.

Our time in China once we met YunYun was challenging as our newest family member was completely thrown for a loop.  My heart was broken for my new daughter but I knew that God would make a way.  Poor YunYun was expecting a completely different situation and she had the most difficult decision to make of her entire life.  To trust me.  I was amazed by that young lady's resolve and bravery and I will never forget the pain in her eyes as we were leaving her native land.  But as of today, October 13, she is thriving in her new family.  She sees that we have nothing but her best interest at heart and want nothing more than to help her be the best that she can be.  YunYun is now in school in the fifth grade and making such great strides with her new language.  She is making friends, changing hearts, and showing others that people with special needs are not scary and have so much to offer the world.

YunYun is also teaching our family how to have grace and yes, even more patience.  I though maybe Dima had prepared us with the whole lesson in patience.  Nope!  YunYun has found a way to teach us about patience.  Upon our arrival back home in the States we had a rough time.  Quite honestly (and understandably) she viewed me as the "enemy".  Everything was a battle from what time we go to bed to what we will wear.  But I stood firm and she learned that being a child in a family means following the rules and being respectful.  I never once expected or demanded that she love me (or even like me!) but I did let her know that I require respect.  It took awhile, but I think we have learned that lesson.

Eric and I are so grateful to everyone who prayed for us, supported us financially, and to those who helped while Elijah and I were in China.  YunYun's new life would not have been possible without each and every one of you.  The Lord continues to bless us in ways we would never have expected and we are just so grateful for His faithfulness to both our family and YunYun.

In the coming weeks and months I hope to share more but things are different with YunYun.  Unlike Dima, YunYun is more private and shy.  I wish to respect that.

Thank you all once again.

No comments: